Gov Bello speaks on rumours of renewed #EndSARS protests
The governor was reacting to rumours of renewed #EndSARS protests scheduled to start on Monday, December 7. Speaking at a press conference witnessed in Abuja on Sunday, December 6, Governor Bello said he is unsettled by credible intelligence reports indicating that another round of the #EndSARS protests is brewing in select cities across the country.
He said every Nigerian should be worried by the spectre of another nationwide protest for any reason at all at this time.
Governor Bello is of the opinion that renewed #EndSARS protests will cause a breach of security across the country. Photo credit: @LugardHouse Source: Twitter
His words: “Not only is it true that the whole nation is still scarified and much traumatised by the violent aftermath of the last round of protests, but ground zero has changed drastically, and the rules of engagement this time around will no longer be the same.
“The last round of protests benefited from a police force subdued by embarrassment at the misdeeds of a few of their colleagues and simultaneously held in check by official directives, even from self-defence. Any future protest is likely to run into a police force still enraged by the vicious attacks visited upon her last time.
“Nigerians are aware of the gruesome slaughter, and even cannibalism, of at least 22 police officers during the violence that erupted alongside the #EndSARS protests. National Youth Council disowns second EndSARS protest, gives reasons “This is aside from the scores who were injured or maimed, in addition to the deliberate targeting and destruction of dozens of police stations and other police facilities as well as the looting of high calibre guns and ammunition from armouries.
“These 22 police officers are our brothers, sons and husbands. Ultimately, they are Nigerians.” The Kogi state governor further argued that the time is ripe for another round of #EndSARS protests. He added: “Moreover, it seems to me that this is the time to consolidate on the gains of the last protests by participating fully in the various panels and bodies set up by the federal and state governments to look into police brutality, identify perpetrators and compensate victims.
“From what I can see so far, progress is being made at the various panels. Not only are we seeing emboldened citizens coming forward with their stories of officer-involved in human rights abuses, but such erring officers are being identified.
No doubt, established offenders will be punished, just like the scores of the defunct SARS officers who have since been dismissed from the force, and who may be further sanctioned.” He stated that another round of #EndSARS protests will be premature and counter-productive at this time, adding that the security situation in the country is very precarious at the moment.
He said all patriots must therefore make conscious efforts not to degrade a parlous security situation further. Recall that a recent media report indicates that the federal government would treat any fresh demonstration against perceived police brutality or any other issue, as high treason aimed at unconstitutional regime change. With the threat of fresh protests, the federal government is said to be unprepared to brook any further challenge to its authority.
Meanwhile, some Nigerian women and youths under the aegis of Women for Buhari (W4B) on Tuesday, December 1, gathered in Abuja, to hold a mega rally in support of the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.
The women accused unpatriotic Nigerians of the act of sabotage against the government of President Buhari. Marching in their numbers, the women group led by Halima Attah urged citizens never to allow themselves to be used to destabilize the country. 3 reasons ENDSARS protest may not end soon.